Quest Diagnostics Test Code: 861
This test is a measure of thyroid function and disease monitoring.
T3, also known as triiodothyronine, is a hormone that is released from the thyroid gland. Together with the hormone T4, they help to regulate body metabolism and energy expenditure rate. T3 is released into the bloodstream from the thyroid gland and travels to its target organs while being bound to plasma proteins. T3 uptake is an indirect measure of these plasma proteins and can help to interpret the T3 results. It is another measure of thyroid function and disease monitoring.
This test is performed in following conditions such as:
• Family member with thyroid disease,
• Diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome
• Woman in or near menopause or has recently given birth
• Other pituitary or endocrine disease
• Symptoms of thyroid disease
Estimated Time Taken
Turnaround time for the T3 Uptake test is typically 1 business day.