Progesterone LC-MS Test
Progesterone is a type of steroid hormone which is regularly secreted as a cyclical hormone which helps to prepare a woman’s body for pregnancy. This hormone causes the building up of the uterine lining in order for a zygote to implant in the wall.
Progesterone, LC/MS – This test (1) establishes the presence of a functioning corpus lutem or luteal cell function, (2) confirms basal body temperature measurements of the occurrence of ovulation (3) affords an indication of the day of ovulation, (4) assesses placental function during pregnancy.
This progesterone lab test is performed in following conditions such as:
• During an infertility assessment
• To determine when ovulation has occurred
• Abdominal pain and spotting, suggesting an ectopic pregnancy or threatened miscarriage
• If receiving progesterone replacement therapy
• When a non-pregnant woman is experiencing abnormal uterine bleeding
DHEA supplementation may cause falsely elevated progesterone levels.
Estimated Time Taken
Turnaround time for the Progesterone test is typically 1 business day.